Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Ramblings of a madman...

It has always been a dream of mine to be able to work at multiple jobs at the same time. But the stark reality is that there is only 24 hours in a day and most of it is dedicated to life's essentials like sleeping and eating. If I had an extra 8 hours per day, I would be able take on a second career moonlighting as a writer or some kind of artist.

Realistically, I think that if I wanted to focus on a second job I would have to get rid of most of my other hobbies to free up some more time. I want to maximize my capacity to do things in life and fill it with soul pleasing work. The ideal that I am striving for is the modern day renesisuance man.

One career is not enough for me, I must broaden my skills to encompass another field. It is not only about being able to make more money on the side, but a sure fire way to protect oneself from a downturn in the economy as well. I know many who only focus on one skill or expertise during their life and when unexpected circumstances hit they are woefully unprepared. The reality is that it is not their fault, people get good at doing something and when a disruptive technology comes along or globalization occurs, it is hard to predict what jobs will be affected.

I am a person who usually has several backup plans for each situation, so most of the time I do not get caught with my pants down. I say most of the time because there are times that I have to just go with the flow or just have life steer the boat awhile. I suspect that I have a pretty big fear of losing control of my life.

One of the ways that I am dealing with this is to fill my life with lot of side hobbies and interests to keep me occupied in the time being. Sooner or later it will all payoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment